THE SIMPLE WAY – MEETING FORMAT (download)
1. START MEETING ON TIME: “Good evening; my name is_________ , and I’m a recovering sexaholic. Welcome to “The Simple Way” meeting of Sexaholics Anonymous. In this meeting we specifically focus on steps 10 & 11 using the relevant readings suggested in (and including) Step Into Action. This is a closed meeting, only those desiring their own personal sexual sobriety, please. If you haven’t yet muted your phone please do so unless you are sharing or reading so that we have good call quality.
2. LEADER ASKS SOMEONE TO READ “The SA Purpose” (SA, Pg. 201) THEN “What Is a Sexaholic and What Is Sexual Sobriety?” (SA, Pg. 202).
3. “Let’s take a minute to introduce ourselves by first name and state our length of sexual sobriety. I’ll begin, and we’ll go around the call (in the order people came on the call – announce order).”; “My name is__________, I’m a sexaholic, and I’ve been sexually sober since _________ .”
4. “Together let’s observe a period of silence to invite God into this meeting. To conclude the period of silence I will lead us in the Serenity Prayer. Please follow along silently if you are un-muted. `God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. Thy will, not mine, be done.'”
5. LEADER READS: LEADER ASKS SOMEONE TO READ HOW IT WORKS ADAPTED FROM CHAPTER FIVE OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS OR THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION (IN WHITE BOOK PG. 206).
6. LEADER READS: “It is easy to let up on our spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do because lust is a subtle foe. We are not cured of sexaholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent upon our spiritual condition. Everyday is a day where we must carry the vision of God’s will in all of our activities. “How can I best serve Thee- Thy will (not mine) be done.” These are the thoughts which must go with us constantly” (from pg. 85, AA).
7. LEADER SUGGESTS ADDITIONAL READINGS AND/OR DIRECTS LITERATURE STUDY: “We will now begin our study of steps 10 & 11. The focus of this study is not to get through a large quantity of the literature but to look closely at smaller sections that we may have a quality understanding of what we read. Our goal is to apply the suggested principles and tools in the literature to our sobriety and recovery. For the sake of clarity, when reading from AA literature please do not substitute or change the wording but you are encouraged to apply what is written to the disease of sexaholism” (leader does not allow reading to go longer than 15 minutes. Read in the order people came on the call – announce order.)
8. AFTER READING AND BEFORE SHARING LEADER READS: “In participation, we avoid topics that can lead to dissension or distraction. We also avoid explicit sexual descriptions and sexually abusive language. The emphasis is on honesty, recovery, and healing -how to apply the Twelve Steps and Traditions in our daily lives. No cross talk, please. If someone feels another is getting too explicit, they may so signify by saying, “my hand is raised”. Please be mindful of the time so that everybody has the opportunity to participate and that we conclude the meeting on time. We will share in the order people came on the call (announce order if necessary). If you don’t have anything to share, please say, “I pass”.”
9. END MEETING ON TIME – LEADER BEGINS CONCLUSION AT TEN MINUTES PRIOR TO END OF SCHEDULED MEETING TIME. IT IS BETTER TO END A FEW MINUTES EARLY THAN A FEW MINUTES LATE.
“This meeting observes the seventh tradition. We have no dues or fees but we are self-supporting through our own contributions. After the meeting concludes you may make your contribution on the web page for this meeting at batonrougesa.org. The link is under Local Meeting Scripts. Contributions support our monthly UberConference Fee, annual website hosting fee, the Baton Rouge Intergroup, and SA International. This money is tracked by our Treasurer, and one other member.
Do we have any SA related announcements?”
10. READ THE 12 TRADITIONS OF SA, or 12 STEPS IF THEY WEREN’T READ AT START. IF SHORT ON TIME READ THE TRADITION OF THE MONTH FROM SHORT OR LONG FORM.
11. LEADERS READS “This is an anonymous program. Please keep the name, address, and phone number of anyone you meet or learn about in SA to yourself. And what we say here, let it stay here. Remember that we never identify ourselves publicly with SA in the press, radio, TV, films or Internet. Neither does anyone speak for SA.”
12. READ CLOSING FROM AA PG. 88 (adapted): “It works- it really does. We sexaholics are undisciplined so we let God discipline us in the simple way we have outlined.”
13. “After a moment of silent meditation, I’d like to ask __________to lead us in the the prayer from page 99 of 12 Steps and 12 Traditions as we follow along silently.”